- This event has passed.
Employment Programming for Newcomers
December 18, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
In partnership with WelcomeBC, MPNH is pleased to offer employment programming for newcomers. If you are not eligible for WorkBC services, and you meet the eligibility criteria, you may benefit from this program.
The program offers settlement and integration services to support the social and economic integration of newcomers who are not eligible to receive immigrant support services under the federally funded program. This program focuses on the needs of temporary residents who are working in B.C. and have the intent to stay, as well as naturalized citizens who are looking to be more fully engaged in the labour market. We provide the following services:
- One on one information, orientation and referral services.
- Impact Mentorship Program (see page 18 for description)
- Weekly employment orientations onsite at MPNH.
- Labour market attachment workshop series, including:
- Intro to volunteering and placement support
- Community connections to support your network
- Resume and cover letter skills
- Getting the most from informational interviews
- How to work a job fair
- Career prospects in the current job market
- Monthly topical workshops on labour market and employment covering:
- Workplace rights and responsibilities
- Work safety
- Workplace culture and probation
- Awareness of social benefits (EI, income tax and child tax, CPP)
- Employment standards and employment relations
- Temporary foreign workers
- Provincial nominees who are not yet approved for permanent residency
- Post-secondary international students who are eligible to work in Canada
- Refugee claimants
- Naturalized citizens
Contact: For more information and to book appointments, contact
José Luis Aranda, Job Search Trainer, JLaranda@mpnh.org, 604.879.8208 ext 214 (English, Spanish)